October 28, 2021, marks the 80th anniversary of Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative (GCEC). Throughout the year, look for articles in Florida Currents magazine that celebrate our history. We hope readers enjoy learning more about GCEC.
In August 1978, the Fountain Substation was established in Bay County.
Highlights of 1979:
- During a six-hour course at GCEC’s Fountain, Southport, and Wewahitchka offices, attendees learned how to make Christmas decorations.
- GCEC visited each school in its service area, demonstrating power line safety for the students.
- The co-op hosted a fish fry for Southport volunteer firefighters and their families to recognize their hard work, dedication, and service to the community.
- GCEC paid capital credits for 1958.
- Feeders back to the Fountain Substation and the Highway 231 job were completed.
In 1980, GCEC moved into its new Southport office at its present location, 9434 Highway 77.
Highlights of 1982:
- The Wewahitchka office remodeling project began.
- The co-op began setting poles for the Bayou George Jaycees ballpark.
- GCEC established a computer center.
- The board approved purchase of a new bucket truck for the Southport office.
- GCEC began using high-pressure sodium lights, replacing older mercury vapor and incandescent lights. The high-pressure sodium lights were projected as the light of the future, lauded for energy efficiency and a broader cone of illumination.
- Youth Tour winners were Debbie Bryant and Evelyn Dodd. Evelyn was elected to the executive committee of the Youth Consulting Board and was invited to attend the national meeting in Las Vegas in January 1983.
- The board approved the Co-op Caper newsletter to be sent out every two weeks.
Check your July edition of Florida Currents for a continuation of the history of GCEC.