Learning about energy can be energizing!
If you’re a K-12 educator interested in teaching your students more about energy, EMPOWER is for you!
EMPOWER Energy Education Workshop provides an exciting opportunity to learn about electric generation and distribution, focusing on energy education and fun ways to integrate it into your classroom, using curriculum designed for your students.
This engaging, hands-on energy exploration workshop equips you to present a balanced approach to electric generation and distribution—with fun, up-to-date resources, and curriculum.
Applying is Easy
Apply online at the NEED website. Space is limited.
The workshop has been developed by the National Energy Education Development Project. The mission is to promote an energy-conscious and educated society by creating networks of students, educators, and business, government, and community leaders to design and deliver objective, multisided energy education programs.
NEED’s materials and programs are an integral part of the energy education process in more than 65,000 classrooms nationwide. These resources meet students’ diverse needs and learning styles, and are correlated to Next Generation Science Standards, as well as Alabama and Florida standards.
Participants receive the training and materials to implement innovative hands-on energy units for their classrooms, multidisciplinary teams, and after-school programs.
What NEED Does
- Equips today’s teachers and students and future leaders with knowledge and work skills
- Trains teachers to teach energy from a balanced perspective
- Reaches parents and community decision-makers
- Provides energy curriculum training vital to an understanding of energy to more than 65,000 classrooms nationwide
- Continuing education credits for each participant who completes the workshop.
- The workshop registration, event lodging at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa, and meals at the event are included. Mileage to and from the workshop is reimbursed.
- Attendees receive a NEED Science of Energy Kit valued at $300, a class set of NEED energy information books (at grade level), access to all NEED curriculum guides and supplemental resources. Get your conference agenda signed to receive your kit and travel stipend.
- Network with fellow educators. Space is limited, so apply online at NEED.org/empower by February 28.
Still trying to decide? Check out this exciting agenda:
Day One (Sunday)
- 1 to 2:45 p.m.: Registration
- 3 p.m.: Welcome and introduction to the workshop
- 3:45 p.m.: Exploring the Science of Energy
- 5:30 p.m.: Adjourn for dinner
- 6 p.m.: Group dinner
- 7:30 p.m.: Adjourn
Day Two (Monday)
- 7 a.m.: Breakfast
- 7:30 a.m.: Understanding the Electric Cooperative and the Region’s Energy Picture
- 8:15 a.m.: Energy round-up
- 8:45 a.m.: It’s Electric breakout sessions
- 10:45 a.m.: Break
- 11 a.m.: Energy expo
- 12:15 p.m.: Lunch
- 1:15 p.m.: Check Those Standards! Resources, planning guide connections, evaluation
- 1:45 p.m.: Sources of Energy
- 2:45 p.m.: Break
- 3 p.m.: Exploring Energy breakout sessions (selected at breakfast)
- 4:30 p.m.: Evaluation and Q&A
- 4:45 p.m.: Adjourn for reception and energy carnival
- 5:30 p.m.: Energy carnival, exhibits and reception
- 6:30 p.m.: Adjourn
Day Three (Tuesday)
- 7 a.m.: Breakfast
- 7:30 a.m.: Program
- 8:15 a.m.: Energy Night Live
- 9:30 a.m.: Break
- 9:45 a.m.: Global trading game
NEED will make the hotel reservations for those selected to attend. Details will be sent with confirmation of conference participation. The hotel will extend the discounted rate to attendees who wish to pay for two additional nights prior to or immediately following the conference