5 Reasons We Love Serving Our Members
February may be the shortest month, but it’s packed with special observances—such as Presidents Day, Black History Month and Valentine’s Day—and a host of unofficial “national” days you probably never have heard of, such as National Tater Tot Day (February 2, if you care). But they all have something in common: They were created to draw attention to a particular issue or theme.
Valentine’s Day may seem like an observance fueled by greeting card companies, but it is a widely celebrated day with millions of dollars spent on flowers, candy and—of course—greeting cards professing our love. But Valentine’s Day isn’t just for the lovebirds. It’s also the perfect time to let our friends, family, co-workers and other special people in our lives know we care about them—with or without a card.
In that vein, here is our list of the top five reasons we love serving you, the Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative members.
1. We love serving you, our members, because the co-op wouldn’t exist without you. Our purpose is to provide you with reliable, responsible, and safe electricity. Simply put, Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative exists to serve you. That is why we were formed in 1941. We brought power to our local area when for-profit utilities would not.
2. You enable us to complete our mission by supporting our efforts to give back. A significant part of our mission is to serve our community and look after the greater good. With your assistance, we help our most vulnerable members through food and toy drives and programs—such as Project Helping Hand—that assist local families in paying their energy bills when times are tough.
3. Members of our co-op also serve on the board of directors. They guide the co-op in setting priorities and helping make big decisions. Because our board members live in the area, they serve as the pulse of the larger community, and are able to identify immediate and long-term needs. The broader co-op membership provides helpful input through director elections and by weighing in on co-op and community issues.
4. You help us get it right. Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative members are great about keeping us in the know. We do our best to avoid power outages, but Mother Nature can throw us a curveball. Our members quickly report power disruptions and are patient as our crews work to restore power safely. We know outages are frustrating. Your support as we work through storms means so much to our employees. We also appreciate your feedback on co-op programs and services. Your opinions are critical for the co-op’s success. We thank you.
5. You and other Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative members make up the community we serve—and for us, it is all about community. Our employees live and work here, too, and care about our community the same way you do. We are invested and work to help the community thrive. That’s why Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative donates to local charities and schools and provides scholarship funds. It is also why we invest in economic development and why you see our employees volunteering at local schools and other charitable and community endeavors.
As a co-op, our mission is to enhance the quality of life in our community and look after its long-term interests. We love serving our members and our local community. Just like you, we want to see the community continue to thrive.